|July 23-27, 2012
Stuttgart Institute of Management
and Technology (SIMT)
70599 Stuttgart, Germany
Short Description of the course:
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a technique for assessing the environmental aspects associated with a product over its life cycle. The most important applications are:
- analysis of the contribution of the life cycle stages to the overall environmental load, usually with the aim to prioritize improvements on products or processes
- comparison between products for internal or internal communications.
This course will give the participants opportunity to improve the knowledge about the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and to gain the skills to perform simplified LCA studies and to analyze, discuss and comment international scientific articles on LCA. The course will provide a comprehensive overview of the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), Life Cycle Costing (LCC), International Reference Life Cycle Data System (ILCD) and European Reference Life Cycle Data System (ELCD). The focus will be on practical examples of applying LCA in industry and improving the environmental performance and sustainability of products and services.
The course is a part of modern and modular European Master Program set up in the framework of the the EU FP7 project iNTeg-Risk "Early Recognition, Monitoring and Integrated Management of Emerging, New Technology related Risks", by Steinbeis University (STI Advanced Risk Technologies), University of Stuttgart (ZIRIUS) and other project partners. The program has the emphasis on management and analysis of emerging risks related to new technologies. The course is also part of certified and accredited education system and as such enables the participants to earn the European ECTS credit points (see http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-policy/ects_en.htm). It is open both for students of the universities participating in the project and for the external participants.
The course will highlight the details of
- LCA methodology and application
- the techniques and the tools needed for the LCA analysis
- standards ISO 14040 and ISO 14044 and international development.
During the course many examples will be elaborated, including the ones related to the emerging risks and, furthermore, participants will develop their own examples using standard LCA software.
The participants will have the opportunity
In the end of the course the students are expected to:
- to enjoy discussions with the main lecturer Mr. Leo Breedveld, a prominent expert in the area of LCA, and with the course organizers
- to learn about the newest developments in the area of the international (ISO) standards and the EU approaches (e.g. "Life Cycle Thinking" and the "decoupling indicators")
- to participate in the hands-on breakout sessions, including use of LCA tools (SimaPro) and
- to ask about practical details of examples dealing with LCA for bio-fuels, advanced engineering materials, nanomaterials and other new technology related products.
- have basic knowledge about LCA methodology and application
- know the link between LCA and HSE
- be familiar with the most important concepts and terminology used in LCA
- have skill to perform simplified LCA using some of most commonly used software tools.
Please scroll down to see the Registration form and make sure you have checked the corresponding box while doing your registration for the course. If you are a member of iNTeg-Risk project, please use the option "1. Already a Member?" in the registration form and your login credentials to register.
Registration Fees (+ VAT if applicable):
- 500 €, for normal registration
- 400 €, for ETPIS members
- 200 €, for iNTeg-Risk partners, members of the International Advisory Board and EU-VRi members (only cost of for catering and handouts) and for students enrolled in universities not mentioned below
- free of charge for students
- enrolled in the program “European Master of Risk Engineering & Management” of Steinbeis University
- of University of Stuttgart covered by the agreement on education in the area of risk governance and management between University of Stuttgart and Steinbeis University Berlin.
The registration fee covers handouts, coffee breaks, lunches, the course reception on July 23, 2012, info service, on- and off-site (web, mail, phone).
Registrations made before June 30, 2012 are eligible for 10% discount!
The course is intended for 20-25 participants. The registrations will be processed on the first-applied-first-served basis.
Ms. Radmila Guntrum
Tel: +49 711 1839 808
Ms. Roswitha Kokejl
Tel: +49 711 1839 616
APPLYING FOR THE TRAINING EVENT
Registration deadline expired.